Crested Butte’s newest form of camping makes spending the night in the backcountry more sustainable and enjoyable by containing impacts to specific areas and limiting over-crowding in popular spots. In designated camping areas, all roadside vehicle and tent campers must camp ONLY in designated sites. Sites are designated by a numbered wooden post and a metal fire ring. In all designated areas, this regulation applies to the entire drainage, right up to its boundary with either wilderness or another ranger district. At this time, all designated sites are first come first served. If you know you are arriving late afternoon or early evening on a Friday, please have other forms of accommodation in mind as all sites may be occupied upon arrival.
Slate River Drainage offers 43 sites broken up into the following areas:
- Roadside sites – site numbers SR 1-19. All located along the main corridor of Slate River Rd #734 starting 5 miles out the road.
- Musicians Camp sites– site numbers MC 1-17. This is a concentrated area of sites approximately 6 miles up Slate River Rd. These sites can accommodate larger RVs and Trailers and provide access to a vault toilet.
- Poverty Gulch sites – site numbers PG 1-7 are remote sites located along Poverty Gulch Rd. Poverty Gulch Rd starts 7 miles out Slate River Rd. A HIGH CLEARANCE 4×4 vehicle is necessary to reach these sites. Do not expect to reach these sites in the spring during peak runoff season due to a dangerous river crossing.
Washington Gulch Drainage offers 48 sites located along the main road corridor
- Sites in Washington Gulch are signed WG 1-48.
- WG 3-26 are located just beyond the National Forest boundary, and many of these sites are large enough to accommodate RVs and Trailers, and are within walking distance of a vault toilet.
Hartman Rocks (Gunnison)
- Hartman Rocks is a large network of shreddy, high desert single track containing many campsites. It’s located approximately 40 minutes from Crested Butte, and just outside the city of Gunnison.
- Visitors may find more camping availability at Hartman Rocks during peak summer months.
Brush Creek Drainage offers 41 sites broken up into the following areas:
- Roadside sites – site numbers BC 1-13. All located along the main corridor of Brush Creek Rd #738 starting 5 miles out the road. All sites beyond BC 8 are very remote and require a high clearance 4×4 vehicle to access
- Tent City Sites – site numbers MC 1-17. This is a concentrated area of sites approximately 6 miles up Brush Creek Rd. These sites can accommodate larger RVs and Trailers and provide access to a vault toilet.
- Farris Creek Sites – Sites FC 1-6 are located along Farris Creek Rd accessed via strand hill rd approximately 3.6 miles from Hwy 135 off Brush creek rd. These sites are very remote and require a high clearance 4X4 vehicle to access.
- West Brush Creek Sites – Sites WB 1-8 are remote sites that require a high clearance 4X4 vehicle to access. West Brush Creek Rd dead ends at the trailhead for the very popular Teocalli Ridge trail.
Kebler Pass Area offers 36 sites spread across the following areas:
- Sites KP 1-9 are located along Kebler Pass Rd #12
- Sites KP 10-31 are located along Irwin Lake Rd #826
- Splains Gulch – Sites SG 1-5 are off Splains Gulch Rd, located approximately 4.6 miles up Kebler Pass Rd. from the town of Crested Butte. These remote sites require high clearance 4×4 to access
Cement Creek Drainage offers 26 sites
- Sites CC 1-9 are easily accessed with a 2wd vehicle.
- Sites CC 10-23 are more remote and require a high clearance 4×4 vehicle to access
- Walrod Road offers 3 additional sites in this drainage. A high clearance 4×4 vehicle is required to reach these sites too.
Gothic Drainage offers 14 sites. Sites 9-12 and 14 require a high clearance 4×4 vehicle to access
Designated Camping Regulations:
- Camp only at designated sites
- All sites are first come first serve
- Fires are only permitted in established metal fire rings
- Extinguish all fires so they are cold to the touch before leaving the fire
- Campers are responsible for knowing any local fire restrictions and only burning when permitted
- Sites are limited to two vehicles only per site
- No stay can exceed 14 days
- No site saving- it is illegal to leave property unattended for more than 24 hours
- Pack out all trash, including human waste
- Do not leave any food or garbage unattended or out in the open, as it attracts wildlife